Thursday, September 8, 2011

9 - 11

I remember my first Fall as a principal. It was at the old middle school (now GES). I was a lot younger. I was eager to begin my new role in education. No longer a teacher, I was now a principal. And, it all changed.

I heard about a plane accidentally flying into the World Trade Center. Oh my. No time for that now, we need to do announcements. On my way to an administrator's meeting a little while later, I heard on the radio there was another direct hit. Certainly, this was not an accident. As the day went on, it was clear; our nation was under attack. It was time for that now.

Mixed feelings. I am responsible for this school. I have a pickup truck that I can fill with bottled water and drive to New York for the relief workers. I have young children at home. Where is my place right now?

My place was to stay at the middle school. To help families and children understand the events of the day. The repercussions of those events that would last into our nation's history.

Through the next few days and throughout the following decade, GKMS students learned about 9-11 and memorialized our nation's lost. In the early years we cried. As time went by, we learned.

Today, our Kingston Elementary School students will learn about an event that happened before they were born. But, they will learn. In every classroom, KES students will learn about the events of that September ten years ago. Although too young to fully comprehend the events of that day, our students will learn, and will learn to remember.

At all GK Schools - including KES - we remember. With respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment